In September, France is president of the Security Council.
France plans to organise a ministerial-level briefing on Ukraine during the General Assembly high-level week. Secretary-General António Guterres is expected to brief.
In September, the Security Council will also hold a briefing on peacekeeping reform pursuant to resolution 2378 of 20 September 2017. Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix is the anticipated briefer.
African issues on the programme of work in September are:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo, briefing and consultations on the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO);
- Libya, consultations and the renewal of resolution 2240 to inspect and seize vessels smuggling migrants;
- Somalia, briefing and consultations on the UN Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM);
- South Sudan, briefing and consultations on the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS); and
- Sudan, briefing and consultations on the UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS) and the 1591 Sudan Sanctions Committee.
Middle Eastern issues on the programme are:
- Iraq, renewal of the mandate of the UN Investigative Team to Promote Accountability for Crimes Committed by Da’esh/ISIL (UNITAD);
- Yemen, consultations;
- Syria, monthly meetings on the political, humanitarian and chemical weapons tracks as well as an informal interactive dialogue (IID) in accordance with resolution 2642 of 12 July; and
- Middle East, including the Palestinian question, the monthly meeting.
There will also be the quarterly briefing and consultations on the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA).
Other issues could also be raised in September depending on developments.